The WPT grew under bwin.party, but was ultimately a loss-making acquisition tool. Brand New owner Ourgame wants the brand to help it to develop in to a ‘global social gaming company.’
The World Poker Tour was sold to a Hong Kong-based media that are social developer for $35 million in cash.
Owner bwin.party confirmed the purchase, to Ourgame International Holdings Ltd, early Monday, including that the deal had no bearing on the purchase talks surrounding the rest of its assets.
The WPT was a ‘non-core asset of the team,’ a company representative said, emphasizing the sale that is recent of units, such as Win, the organization’s social video gaming arm.
Bwin is currently in negotiations with 888 Holdings, which has offered an undisclosed cash and paper bid to acquire the organization in its entirety, and Amaya Inc and GVC Holdings, that have proposed a €1.5 billion ($1.7 billion) joint bid that will essentially divvy up bwin.party’s assets between the two.
User Acquisition Tool
Ourgame, a company that is relatively unknown the English-speaking world, is listed on the Hong Kong Stock Exchange and focuses primarily on online multi-platform card-based social games for the Chinese and East Asian markets, where it has 30 million active monthly users.
In 2014 its games brought in revenues of $76.7 million, and in December that year Ourgame acquired the rights to utilize the WPT brand in 14 countries across East Asia, including China, Malaysia, Korea, Vietnam and the Philippines. The two organizations cooperated regarding the organization of the WPT China, late year that is last.
Under the terms associated with the agreement, bwin.party will continue to sponsor events on the trip in Europe and North America until December 31, 2016.
The WPT was basically a customer acquisition tool for bwin.party. Last 12 months it yielded a reported revenue that is total of $11.8 million, and a loss at the clean profits, before interest, income tax, depreciation and amortization, of $4.6 million
Because it acquired the WPT from creator Steve Lipscomb’s WPT Enterprises, for $12.3 million, bwin.party has exploded the tour from a series of 16 event that is main to more than 70 events around the globe, with all the addition of WPT Alpha8, WPT National and WPT DeepStack events.
Ourgame says that the acquisition will help it to grow to into a worldwide social video gaming brand.
‘Over the previous six years we have built WPT into a franchise that is global with tournaments and TV discounts in many countries including Asia, where poker remains a popular and growing sport,’ said Martin Weigold, chief financial officer of bwin.party. ‘However, consistent with our strategy of divesting our non-core assets, we think that now is the time that is right launch that value for investors therefore that people can focus our efforts on our core real cash gaming and technology business.’
Ourgame is an ‘incredible technology business,’ said Adam Plisksa, president and CEO of WPT, ‘and that was our greatest weakness.’
Bryan Micon Expected In Court On Thursday
Bryan Micon will return to Nevada to make a scheduled court date this Thursday. (Image: CalvinAyre.com)
Bryan Micon is coming back to America to face the music regarding the cost filed against him by Nevada authorities.
According to court records, Micon is anticipated to produce a court look at a hearing, and defense lawyer david chesnoff has said that he expects micon to be there for the court date thursday.
Micon had been the chairman of Seals with Clubs, A bitcoin-based online poker room that was shut down earlier this present year after a February raid on Micon’s Las Vegas residence.
That was one of a series of events, including planet 7 oz no deposit free spins many different technical difficulties, which evidently led the rest of the Seals with Clubs management team to shut down shop.
Raid Leads to Arrest Warrant
While Micon was launched without the charges filed against him after the raid, authorities did seize some computers and other equipment that is electronic belonged to him.
In April, Nevada officials issued an arrest warrant for Micon, alleging that he had operated an unlicensed gaming that is interactive in hawaii.
But by the period, Micon had taken refuge in Antigua with their household, having flown here soon after the raid that is initial. Micon’s return for the court hearing seems to be the first-time he has stepped foot in the usa since leaving many months ago.
Micon has since launched a new version of the site, known as swcpoker.eu, that is additionally a poker site that is bitcoin-only.
Last week, in front of the scheduled court appearance, a judge recalled Micon’s arrest warrant, which allowed him to freely travel straight back to Nevada. Based on court records, Micon will probably face a booking that is brief the Clark County Detention Center, but should then be released on his very own recognizance.
Chesnoff Defends Another Tall Profile Customer
In the event that name of Micon’s lawyer strikes you as familiar, it’s probably since you have been seeing it often in gambling-related situations over the past year, as well as in stories about cases involving other celebrity clients.
Chesnoff was an integral member of the defense team that eventually got all charges dismissed against Paul Phua, the Malaysian businessman and high stakes poker player whom was accused of operating an illegal World Cup recreations wagering band from a villa at Caesars Palace.
For the reason that full instance, Chesnoff was successful in having almost all for the proof against Phua dumped of court due to FBI strategies that have been later deemed unconstitutional by way of a judge.
Chesnoff also represented Instagram superstar Dan Bilzerian after he was charged with counts related to bomb-making following the detonation of a homemade explosive, spreading areas of a tractor-trailer cab across public lands outside Las Vegas.
In that instance, Bilzerian avoided much more serious charges and alternatively entered a misdemeanor, for which he paid a find and recorded a public service announcement for the Bureau of Land Management.
Micon could potentially face consequences much more severe than either Phua or Bilzerian, making the stakes even higher for Chesnoff and his client that is latest.
If Micon is available guilty on the unlicensed interactive video gaming system charge, he could possibly confront ten years and jail and a $50,000 fine.
Ladbrokes and Gala Coral Proposed Merger Could Form Bookmaking Superpower
Jim Mullen, Ladbrokes CEO, states: ‘A merger has the potential to create substantial cost synergies, creating value for both businesses’ shareholders.’ (Image: standard.co.uk)
Ladbrokes and Gala Coral, two of Britain’s biggest gambling businesses, have begun negotiations over a merger that is possible which, if realized, would create a bookmaking superpower.
An alliance regarding the two companies would develop a group with almost 4,000 high street betting shops throughout the UK, dwarfing the incumbent market leader William Hill, which has around 2,400 outlets.
But there is no certainty that the discussions, which center on combining Ladbrokes with Coral Retail, Eurobet Retail, and Gala Coral’s online firms, will lead to an agreement, Ladbrokes stressed in a pr release.
CEO Jim Mullen said that the board was still determining whether a deal would be the move that is right the company.
‘A merger with Gala Coral could create a combined business with significant scale and contains the potential to produce cost that is substantial, creating value for both companies’ shareholders. The Board has not yet concluded whether a deal is strategically attractive and may be brought to shareholders on appropriate terms,’ Mullen said.
Nevertheless, a consolidation for the two companies’ online operations may prove to be appealing to Ladbrokes. Mullen had been introduced three months ago to shore up the business’s electronic arm, which recorded shaky leads to 2014. Total online profits for the 12 months fell over 70 percent, from £10.8 million ($16.9m) to £3 million ($4.7m), while poker reported a 31 percent fall in revenue. On the web poker now is the reason just 2 percent of digital revenues, the company said.
Over all its operations, Ladbrokes reported a fall that is large pre-tax profit for 2014, from £68m ($106.8m) to £38m ($59.7m). The business stated that it expected to shut 60 UK stores in 2010.
‘Since becoming CEO my focus happens to be on a more plan that is aggressive build digital scale and grow our recreational customer base across all networks, which is key to making a more sustainable and growing Ladbrokes,’ said Mullen, who previously oversaw the development of main rivals William Hill’s online operations. ‘My plans are well advanced and I also look forward to presenting them to shareholders.’
1998 Acquisition Attempt
Ladbrokes previously attempted to buy Coral back in 1998, however the acquisition was vetoed by the Trade and Industry Secretary Peter Mandelson. The impact of removing Coral as an essential third national force that is competitive the off-course betting market, would, stated Mandelson, ‘lead to a weakening of price competition during the nationwide level; a dampening impact on innovation; and a reduction in consumer choice.’
If completed, the offer would be structured as a takeover that is reverse of traded Ladbrokes by Coral, which is owned by private equity firms.
New Documents Reveal Pete Rose Bet on Baseball as Player
New documents expose that Pete Rose gambled regarding the Reds while he had been still playing for the team. (Image: USATSI)
Pete Rose admitted more than a decade ago that he had bet on baseball while the manager of the Cincinnati Reds, and that alone was ample for Major League Baseball to justify maintaining Rose completely ineligible to be involved in baseball activities.
But Rose has always maintained, up through this year, he was a player that he never made such bets when.
Now it seems as though even Rose’s partial defense might have been a lie.
On Monday, ESPN’s Outside the Lines published pages they obtained from a notebook that has been collected as an element of a raid in the house of Michael Bertolioni, a former associate of Rose’s, by the United States Postal Inspection Service in October 1989.
Notebook Shows Bets from 1986
Within the notebook, you will find details of wagers by Rose that took place in 1986, the final 12 months of his playing career as he served as being a player-manager for the team. The pages revealed by Outside the Lines cover betting activity that covers March through 1986 july.
Critically, the notebook will not show any evidence (or suggestion) that Rose ever bet against the Reds at any time. Whilst not everything in the product is legible, the written book does show that Rose bet on baseball on at the least 30 days through that period.
On 21 of those full times, there were bets by Rose on the Reds, including on at least some games that Rose played in himself. Rose also bet heavily on other sports, specially on basketball.
Most of Rose’s bets were for $2,000, whatever the sports he was betting on. Their single biggest bet had been a $5,500 wager on the Boston Celtics, one that he lost.
Dowd Finds Closure from Documents
The former federal prosecutor who headed up the Major League Baseball investigation into Rose’s betting and lent his name to the infamous Dowd Report that led to Rose’s ban from baseball, the new information served as a vindication of the work he did back in 1989 for John Dowd.
‘This does it,’ Dowd stated. ‘ This closes the hinged home.’
The details in Bertolini’s notebook was unknown until now because it comes from a study into mail fraud and had nothing at all regarding Rose or gambling in basic.
Since then, the notebook has been under a seal that is court-ordered the newest York office associated with nationwide Archives, and officials have actually declined release a it publically.
Outside the Lines had Dowd review the newly revealed papers as part of their tale.
‘We knew that [Bertolini] recorded the bets, and himself, but we never had his records,’ Dowd said that he bet. ‘This is the final piece of the puzzle on a New York betting operation with organized crime. And, of course, [Rose] betting while he was a player.’
New Information May Scuttle Reinstatement
The reveal is likely to be considered a major setback to Rose, who recently applied for reinstatement with brand new commissioner Rob Manfred.
However, Rose’s lawyer issued a statement saying that they would not comment regarding the new developments.
‘that we would not comment on specific matters relating to reinstatement,’ the statement read since we submitted the application earlier this year, we committed to MLB. ‘I have to maintain that. To make sure, I’m wanting to sit down with Manfred to address my whole history—the good and the bad—and my long personal journey since baseball.’
Pete Rose played in the major leagues, mainly because of the Reds, from 1963 to 1986, during which time he collected an all-time record of 4,256 hits.
But in 1991, the Baseball Hall of Fame voted to exclude anyone on the ineligible list from being considered for addition, which has kept Rose from being honored as one of baseball’s all-time greats.